Thursday, March 19, 2009

Penang trip

Well, it's finally the school holidays and my kids been bugging me to go Penang for quite sometime now. So, we all decided to go to Penang last Monday for a 3 days 2 nights stay. I brought my mom along as she too have not visited Penang for more than 15 years! So, off we went.....on to the plane. We will be staying at Parkroyal hotel at Batu Ferringhi as we had some vouchers for the hotel and it worked out good for us all. Upon arriving at the Penang International Airport, we garb a cab(2 actually as each cab only seats 4) and headed for the hotel. It was an easy drive as I was expecting jams and heavy volume of traffic as this was a working day and in the middle of the day. It took us about 30 minutes drive and we finally got to the hotel, checked in and the children all got ready for the pool! Within minutes, my son and daughter were playing in the pool, riding the water slides and jumping between pools(with my supervision of course). I had sometime to catch up with the papers and a glass of cold beer just made my day. For a few hours then, I was relaxed and my mind was not on "issues" back in KL. The kids played around for a few more hours before being "hauled up" by their mother as it was time for makan. That night, we walked out to Batu Ferringhi road and just looked around for hawker centers or similar stalls for local food. They have Eden, The Ship and a few more "commercialize" eatery place but we were more interested in the local stuff like Char Koay Tiau, laksa, Poh Piah etc etc. We found a food court about 200 meters from our hotel, just after The Ship. We sampled a lot of dishes(we order and shared amongst the children and adults). It was good and we had a good time. I am not sure if local Penangites will like it but for us out stationers, it was as good as it gets. Anyway, we still have 2 more days to go around Georgetown and Gurney drive to sample more. The following days my kids got to go for horse riding(my daughter seem to enjoy that a lot) and my son got to try the parachute ride, jet ski(with my supervision of course) and the banana boat ride. We all had a blast and most of the time we find ourselves either eating or having fun at the beach or the pool. As for my wife and mother, they too had a relaxing time, just lazing around the pool area and catching up on naps! Then it was more food and we did just that at Gurney Drive which is always fill with people but I was told that that would not be a good place to go for really good local stuff, well I will need some Penangites guide on this then. But it was good by our standard as we have no comparison to the supposedly good ones. But most important of all, my kids, wife, mother and me, we had a good time together as it's been a while now since we all did something together. It was a good break for us all. On the last day, we dropped by at Ghee Hiang biscuits for some "tau sah piah", which my mother likes alot. So, we bungkus 3 bags full of it back to KL. During the return trip back to KL, I was actually hoping to catch a glimpse of CM Lim as I read he travels by Air Asia and on economy class as well, but that did not materialize. Anyway, all in all, it was a good short break for all of us.

No comments: