Monday, July 27, 2009

Rosemary roast chicken

It's been sometime now since I cooked something for my family, my parents and myself. I used to do it quite often back then, almost every alternate weekends. It can be something simple like pancakes, my special omelets to roast chicken, pork, seafood chowder or even turkey! Due to my schedules lately, I will get too burned out and tired to do any cooking over the weekend.
Anyway, last Saturday, I decided I should do something as I have not cook for them for a while now. It was a last minute thing as well but with enough experience, it was not difficult to get all the "things" ready. My kids love the chicken, so decided to roast their favorite rosemary chicken, plus it was the easiest to do and fast.
I usually buy the chicken thighs(including the drumstick) instead of a whole chicken because then I don't have to carve the chicken, I will only use whole chicken when I have friends or my in-laws are here. But most of the time, I prefer thighs. I need a few spices and herbs, coriander seeds, black pepper and sea salt. For herbs, I need rosemary, I have been trying to grow them but they don't seem to do well, and they all die after a while. I also use Extra Virgin Olive oil moderately during the marinating process. I prefer a mortar to pound coriander and black pepper seeds, to me it works better that using a blender to chop them. Somehow, with the mortar, the seeds release their oil better, especially the coriander seeds, the whole kitchen is suddenly fragrant. Rub the spices(coriander and black pepper) and olive oil into the chicken, and if you have some Dixon mustard, add some(depending how tangy you want it), otherwise 5 spice will do as well but I like the mustard. Lastly, add salt to chicken and make sure you "massage" the salt into the chicken. These "massage" helps break down the fiber of the meat and the chicken will taste better.
Then before you cling wrap the chicken, bruise the rosemary a little to release the oil and just tossed it around with the chicken. Now you can cling wrap or zip lock up the chicken and let the juices marinate for at least 3 hours(the longer the better), in the fridge of course.
Cooking time is about 60 minutes, so plan ahead. Bring out your oven pan, oil the pan first with olive oil and put the thighs in with skin facing top. Pre-heat oven to 180C first and then bring it down to 150C and roast the chicken for 55 minutes, you can check the roasting time as it cooks as some people like the skin a little bit more burned, so it's up to individuals but the meat will be cooked through by 50th minutes. Just play the last couple of minutes on how brown you want the skin to be. After you have taken the pan out from the oven, let it rest for at least 10 minutes, covering the pan with a sheet of aluminum foil. As for the sauce, you can just use the juices from the pan or if you have some white wine, bring the pan over a fire and boil. Add some white wine in, let it boil again and reduce, add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
So, let's dig in........bon appetite!

No comments: